Title of position: Coffee Shop Coordinator
Classification: Miscellaneous Award 2010
Type of appointment: Casual
Lefevre Connections is a new community outreach venture of the Lefevre Uniting Church Taperoo.
Our vision is for Lefevre Connections to be a community hub that links the Lefevre Peninsula community by:
- providing a welcoming place where:
- locals, new residents and visitors can share a conversation over a coffee; and
- parents and caregivers can browse a book with their children or relax with a coffee while their children play in the play area;
- hosting regular community events, conversations, workshops and programs;
- providing a library facility (in the coffee shop and street library) at which families can exchange reading books and access the internet;
- providing support to the community through community appeals, the provision of work experience and affordable clothing; and
- providing a child friendly facility that can be used for school holiday events, or hired for children’s birthday parties.
In becoming a community hub, Lefevre Connections will include:
- a community coffee shop;
- a book exchange in the coffee shop and street library;
- an Op Shop providing clothing for families;
- a community native butterfly garden; and
- a space to hold community events, conversations, workshops and programs.
When it commences operations in November 2018, the coffee shop will be open during school hours on Wednesdays and Fridays.
The coffee shop will be managed by a casual Coffee Shop Coordinator employee. Volunteers (including people on work experience) will be responsible for serving customers, making coffees and preparing food.
The role involves the provision of hospitality, supervision & training of the volunteers and event management.
Accountability and Working Relationships
The Coffee Shop Coordinator will be responsible to the Lefevre Uniting Church Council with day to day supervision provided by the Lefevre Uniting Church Minister.
The Coffee Shop Coordinator will be a member of the Lefevre Connections Team. The Lefevre Connections Team will be responsible for the management and development of Lefevre Connections.
As an integral member of the Lefevre Connections Team, the Coffee Shop Coordinator will be the team member primarily responsible for the management of the coffee shop and will work closely with the other members of the Lefevre Connections Team.
Key Activities and Outcomes
The provision of hospitality will include:
- oversight of the coffee shop;
- development of coffee shop menus;
- coordinate purchase/receipt and storage of food and other goods, including liaising with suppliers; and
- maintain appropriate stock control.
Volunteer supervision & training will include:
- recruitment and training of the volunteers. This will involve working closely with the coffee suppliers (Stir and Barossa Coffee Roasters) to coordinate the training and ensure quality standards are maintained;
- provision of guidance and assistance with coffee making and food preparation;
- coordination of coffee shop rosters;
- management of the volunteers in a cooperative and friendly manner;
- develop and facilitate orientation/training sessions and other resources (eg policies & procedures) as required;
- coordination of Volunteer Recognition Events for volunteers; and
- liaise with education and work placement providers as needed.
Event Management will include:
- coordination of catering for community events and programs; and
- an involvement (as a member of the Lefevre Connections Team) in the promotion of the coffee shop.
- Attend Lefevre Connections Team meetings
- Provide quarterly reports to the Lefevre Uniting Church Council and an annual report to the Annual General Meeting of the Lefevre Uniting Church Taperoo.
- Other duties as directed by the Lefevre Uniting Church Minister within the scope and responsibility of this position.
- A willingness to support and implement the mission, vision and goals of the Lefevre Uniting Church as they apply to Lefevre Connections.
- A preparedness to commit to the Christian ethos of the Uniting Church in Australia.
Personal abilities, aptitudes, skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with people across a range of ages
- A commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Proven ability to work with and provide leadership within a team of volunteers
- Proven ability to manage priorities and time constraints
- Proven ability to work within and maintain operational policies and procedures
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Relevant industry and government regulations (food safety, Workplace Health and Safety) essential
- Computer knowledge preferred (Microsoft Suite – Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Relevant experience within a food and hospitality enterprise (e.g. coffee shop/café/commercial kitchen) essential
- At least 1 year’s barista experience essential
- Experience in providing training desirable
Education and Qualifications
- Safe Food Handling, or be prepared to undertake a one-day course
- Barista Training essential
- Basic First Aid Certificate or a willingness to obtain certificate
- It is mandatory, in order to fulfil the inherent requirements of this position, that a Uniting Church SA “Screening and Authority Request” incorporating a National Criminal History Check, be conducted
- Current Driver’s Licence and own transport required